12 July 2015

Let's Be The Change That The World Needs




We are back from vacation! It was restful and relaxing and the girls had a blast. There were no major catastrophes and we only had to whip out the first aid kit a couple of times. All in all, it was a successful week long vacation.

Today, I delivered two baskets to very deserving and beautiful families. The first one, we had the opportunity to only visit for a few minutes, but the conversation has repeated itself over and over again in my head, throughout the course of the day. Baby is still in the NICU and mom is very anxious to get her beautiful daughter home, so that they can start to get into some sort of routine and begin their lives as a family of three. Most baskets that I deliver are to families who receive a diagnosis at birth. It can be a bit of a difficult time with lots of emotions and tears. It's overwhelming for families, but with the right support system and community resources to help guide you, it all works out. My little girl has brought so much love, laughter and light into our lives and to countless others all across the globe. Two years ago, the world became a better place.


The new mom was telling me that they received a pre-natal diagnosis and that all throughout her pregnancy, she was encouraged by doctors and medical professionals to terminate the pregnancy. As she was telling me this, I could feel my blood start to boil and my heart really did ache for this beautiful family. Mom is not from this country, so she has some difficulties expressing herself and getting out the right words, deemed to be a bit difficult. She was not able to stand up for herself in the way that she wanted to. She knew that she wasn't going to terminate her pregnancy but she didn't receive the support and guidance that she deserved.
When we received our diagnosis, I was 15 weeks pregnant. My OB was caring, compassionate and she allowed us to grieve. We did grieve. We went through a few weeks of feeling sorry for ourselves, lots of worry, fear and upset. We were entitled to this time, but we also were surrounded by people who didn't allow us to wallow for too long. The medical professionals in our lives didn't tell us that they were sorry or that our child with Down syndrome would not have a bright future. They took us by the hand and guided us in the right direction. They gave us facts about OUR unborn child, not a book filled with grim statistics that were not relevant to our pregnancy. We focused on the ultrasounds and we educated ourselves.


I don't know what James and I would have done if we were told over and over again that this child has no right to be in this world, that she would be a burden on society or that this child would be a burden to us and our family. We looked up to these people, we valued their opinions and knew that they would never tell us to do something that we would later regret, for the rest of our lives. You are vulnerable when you receive news that you don't expect. You are in a state where emotion takes over logic. You fear the worst and let worry creep into your mind. All you need is for your hand to be held and told that it will all be ok. You need to be told to breathe and relax and to not let those who are ignorant and uneducated dictate what you should do with your body, with your child, with your future.

I am not for banning abortion when a family receives a pre-natal diagnosis. I was not put on the earth to judge others. Telling a woman what she should and shouldn't do with her body, is the wrong way to go about it. What needs to be law, is that when a family receives the diagnosis, they must get educated, they must meet with a family, they must meet with those who are qualified, those who can explain the beauty of Down syndrome and what our children will achieve. When a woman receives a diagnosis and is told that is against the law to terminate, here is a pamphlet and is sent on her way, that is not making advancements, this is not going about things the right way. With some education, a woman and her family will see the potential, the beauty, the gift that lies ahead.


As I stood there with this mom today, she felt lost, she wasn't given the resources, the forms, the community supports that are available to her and her family. She is fearful of the future and is unsure how to proceed. I reassured her that I will hold her hand and be the support that she needs and deserves.

I so badly wish that the world would change. I know that it sounds like such a silly statement, but I was hurt today. It is going to take all of us to change the world. We all need to be in this together. We need to be the parents that our children need us to be. We need to keep advocating. We need to keep showing the world the beauty that lies within each of our children. When we stand together, we will be the change that the world needs.

 
 
 
The lovely pictures of Adele were taken for a photo shoot that we did for Acorn & Leaf. Thank you Modern Nest Photography for taking such amazing and beautiful pictures. 


4 comments :

  1. Couldn't agree more. I had a prenatal diagnosis at 13 weeks and was stunned by the negativy which I experienced from the health care "professionals". Love your blog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I am so sorry that you experienced negativity from the health care professional. There needs to be change. Xo Krista

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
    Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
    Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
    Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete